January 17, 2013

Changes

I resigned from my job today. I signed a piece of paper through tear-blurred eyes that said I no longer wanted to be the Executive Director at my Y.

It was a tough moment in a series of tough moments these past six months. So many thoughts swirled through my head while my hand scribbled the words, “Effective today…” I thought of my kids and my ex-wife and how they depended on me to be there for them. I thought of all the joy my job has brought me and how much I loved what I do. I thought of how much I loved building that Y and giving the community something special. But it is time to move on.

And as I say the things I need to say to myself to keep going, things like, “when one door closes, another opens” or “the best is yet to come,” I feel better but it just barely masks the feeling that I don’t know if I’ve ever felt in my lifetime… failure.

The kids cried tonight when I told them I was leaving the Y. They cried for the camp counselors they love and what the Y has meant to them over the years. I cried too. I told them that it’s okay to be sad but that things will be okay.

And they will be. Fortunately, I have some time to figure things out. The uncertainty that lies ahead is certainly scary and daunting but I look forward to new challenges and a new opportunity to be the leader I want to be. Sometimes, a fresh start is what’s needed.

And I will hold my head high and be the role model my kids need me to be. They need to see that in challenging times, good things happen. I am determined to show them that this is true.

But it does seem I’ll have to enroll them in camp in the spring. Good thing the Y gives financial assistance.

11 Comments

1. Also working in nonprofits, I know how much our jobs become a part of us. This wasn’t easy for you I’m sure, but I have no doubt you’ll come out on top. The good guys always do.

Comment by Darren — January 17, 2013 @ 9:55 pm

2. (((Hugs)))

Comment by V — January 17, 2013 @ 10:05 pm

3. That’s a tough decision, but I’m excited for you. :-)

Comment by Maura — January 17, 2013 @ 11:54 pm

4. Matt — I’m sorry to hear this. As a fellow community center-focused professional I can deeply empathize will everything you must be feeling. I believe your positive attitude and impeccable character will carry you and your family through this. We’ll all be rooting for you.

Comment by Josh — January 18, 2013 @ 9:28 am

5. I’m sorry to hear this. Will be thinking of you.

Comment by Deanna — January 18, 2013 @ 10:32 am

6. BIG hugs.. I think it’s good to get everything done at once.. (I had divorce and mom dying and dad moving to a nursing home).. So divorce and a job change.. why not? You only live once.. follow that dream. You are NOT NOT NOT a failure.. even if it feels that way.

Comment by MP — January 18, 2013 @ 10:40 am

7. Ironically, the vet hospital where I work part-time is hiring! You would be just as qualified for it as I am! (IE: notatall). My job is to entertain the staff and the clients who are waiting. I try to pretend that my “people skills” are being exercised but honestly, no writer should be forced to talk to strangers about their dogs’ anal glands. (The temptation to write a book about them is just too great…)

So, send me your résumé! It’s a helluva commute to NC, but you’d love it!

Comment by Amo — January 18, 2013 @ 12:52 pm

8. HI Matthew – prayers and peace to you! You will be missed greatly by all of us who so love your passion for life!

Comment by Sue — January 18, 2013 @ 5:39 pm

9. You are NOT a failure! You live your life with such honest. Keep moving towards what your heart truly is drawn to. It was all work out. {{{Hugs}}}

Comment by Grace — January 18, 2013 @ 9:12 pm

10. Of all the things I’ve read here over the years, this is the most unexpected. Wishing you peace in your decision and an even more rewarding and fulfilling future.

You know I love you. xo

Comment by Debra — January 19, 2013 @ 10:59 am

11. Debra said it best – you know, a month ago – when I was busy not paying attention. We’re all going to come out on the other end of our tunnels here better, Matt – I know we are. I believe in us, and in our friends who believe in us, too. Hang in there and consider me on Team Henry… as always! SD Zoo 4-Eva (lol)…. Kristen

Comment by kristeneileen — February 26, 2013 @ 9:04 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Get every new post on this blog delivered to your Inbox.

Join other followers: