April 23, 2005

A Slave to Fashion

Next week my Y is hosting a Fashion Show on the rooftop terrace of the Westgate Hotel in downtown San Diego. I have never been to a fashion show – However, I have been planning said fashion show for what seems like an eternity. My only thought now, is PLEASE let this week go by fast.

My entire work day is consumed by fashion. In the past month I have arranged for the poodles in the show to be tinted purple (I’m not kidding), sat at the hotel while they presented the menu only to hear the really rich woman who is helping us change the entire menu that the award-winning, five-star chef had prepared for us. I have also made traveling arrangements for Brody Hutzler who plays some guy on Days of Our Lives as he will be a special guest. I have also traded emails with Miss California 2005 and Miss USA 2005 Runner-up Brittany Hogan (no, you can’t have her email address) as she has graciously offered to be there as well.

I can’t wait to get back to managing my staff and actually focusing on my Y. But first, I have to go shopping. It seems I need a lavender-pastel shirt with a spring/floral tie for the event.

It takes hard work to look that good.

April 12, 2005

Things that go bump in the night

Lately, I’ve had a couple of instances that put my late-night thinking ability into doubt. First, I’m a fairly sound sleeper so it takes a bit to wake me up. Second, because I’m in such a deep sleep I’m left a bit discombobulated when being suddenly awakened.

For example, as part of my job at the Y I work for, I am the person the alarm company calls when there’s a problem at the branch. Of course, problems only occur between the hours of 2:30 and 4:30 a.m. When the alarm company tries to get a hold of me, they first call my cell phone and then, if there’s no answer, they call my home phone. Saturday night/Sunday morning I was awakened by my wife elbowing me at 2:30 in the morning. I heard her say the words, “Honey, your cell phone.” I could hear the distinct ring tone of my cell phone upon which I immediately picked up the home phone and said “Hello? Hello?” It took me a minute to realize I wasn’t answering my cell phone. Luckily the home phone rang a few seconds later.

Fast forward to last night. It’s 4:00 a.m. and I am awakened by a loud bang. The house shakes and for a split second I’m not sure if we’re experiencing an earthquake or if a car has run into our house. I jump out of bed and my wife tells me, “It’s an earthquake, Honey.” In my still clouded mind I immediately think, “Where are the babies Are they in their bassinet in our room or in their cribs down the hall´┐Ż”

Only then do I realize that the babies haven’t been born yet and they are safely inside Andrea’s belly.

For some reason, this has Andrea concerned. She’s convinced that once the babies arrive she’s going to catch me some late night petting the babies and trying to diaper the cat.


Get every new post on this blog delivered to your Inbox.

Join other followers: