May 22, 2011

You don’t know me

Hi Little One,

You’ll be here in less than three weeks.

Three weeks?! It’s going to fly by, I know. And before you come, I wanted to let you know that I’m really looking forward to you being a part of our family. And before you join us, before you meet me, I wanted to let you know a little bit about me.

I take this fatherhood thing pretty seriously. I feel like it’s my job to make sure you grow up to be a confident, caring, respectful person. I will encourage, love, listen and speak with you. But I will also say no when you really want me to say yes. I feel like it’s my job to raise adults, not children.

Having said that, we’re gonna have fun, Little One. I like to sing out loud (much to everyone’s chagrin), dance like nobody’s watching, color on a rainy Sunday, tickle and blow raspberries and have pillow fights. I’ll sometimes let you eat whipped cream right from the can, throw in chocolate chips into your pancakes or cap a hot Summer’s day at the local frozen yogurt shop. I like to braid hair, snuggle while watching cartoons, read bedtime stories and kiss you gently on your cheek after you’ve fallen asleep.

Now, I’m not perfect. I get grumpy when I’m tired or hungry. I don’t like being late and I’d rather go to the dentist than balance my checkbook.

But no one will love you more than I, Little One. I promise you that.

See you in a few weeks.

Love,
Daddy

6 Comments

1. I’m so excited for you. Little One is a lucky little girl to be joining your family!

Comment by ~a — May 22, 2011 @ 9:29 pm

2. I’m so excited for you too! I can’t wait for the stories of you learning how to be a daddy to the newest little sweetie in your life.

Comment by Franny — May 23, 2011 @ 3:36 am

3. Very sweet, Matt. By the way, I’m hoping for an early arrival … like maybe the 28th. (Would be cool to share my birthday with her!) Not that my wishes figure into this at all, but you might want to warn Andrea!! ; )

Comment by cousin colleen — May 23, 2011 @ 4:44 am

4. This post is perfection in every way. Thanks for sharing it.

Comment by RobMonroe — May 23, 2011 @ 10:10 am

5. Aww, that’s so sweet. How exciting for you all! (My dad still calls me Little One)

Comment by Melanie @ Mel, A Dramatic Mommy — May 23, 2011 @ 8:58 pm

6. This post made me cry. I’m 100% sure it has everything to do with the fact that my girls have such an amazing bond with their Dad and I see that you have (and will have) the same with your kids. I think it’s so rare. And you are just incredibly awesome for putting all this love out into the universe.

Comment by Lyndsay Cool Legumes — May 24, 2011 @ 12:04 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Get every new post on this blog delivered to your Inbox.

Join other followers: